Michael Bay gets lots of grief from film critics.
Often, they have a point.
Bay’s work is known for its over-the-top style, popcorn sensibility and an alarming lack of nuance.
Yet Bay is also responsible for one of the most sobering films in recent memory, a story that didn’t align with Hollywood’s progressive playbook. He told it anyway.
“13 Hours.”
Bay marshalled his impressive skill set to tell the story of the attack on a U.S. compound in Benghazi that left four Americans dead. The tragedy also inspired one of the most tone deaf comments in political history.
Pam Bondi with a bold message to Hillary Clinton after DOJ arrests Benghazi terrorist,
Bondi: “Hillary Clinton famously said: ‘What difference does it make?’ It makes a difference to Donald Trump”pic.twitter.com/JQOQLg3ad5
— Defiant L’s (@DefiantLs) February 6, 2026
“13 Hours” shrewdly didn’t shoehorn political talking points into the film. Instead, by telling the story like it happened, he let audiences draw their own conclusions.
That proved more powerful than expected. Who knew he had that in him?
Now, Bay is embracing another fact-based story that felt like no Hollywood studio would ever tackle it. Except Universal Pictures answered the call, as did Bay.
Sources tell Deadline that Bay is developing a feature film chronicling the extraordinary heroism of the two U.S. airmen rescued after their F-15E Strike Eagle was downed during Operation Epic Fury. The film will be based on the upcoming book by Mitchell Zuckoff, which HarperCollins will publish in 2027.
It’s a rescue tailor-made for the big screen, but it’s problematic for one major reason.
President Donald Trump oversaw the rescue and delighted in sharing the good news once it wrapped successfully.
Orange Man … Good?
Why is Bay perfect for the project? He’s worked closely with the U.S. military over the years, for starters. He previously collaborated with Zuckoff for “13 Hours.” And he’s smart enough not to turn what could be that rare, pro-American film into an anti-Trump screed.
It’s always possible, of course, but it’s highly unlikely. Nothing in Bay’s resume suggests he’d do anything of the kind.
It’s a miracle any movie studio greenlit the project, given the Trump connection. It’s even more surprising how swiftly this came together.
Either way, Bay could have the comeback vehicle he desperately needs, at least one without the name “Transformers” attached to it. His recent films, including “Ambulance” and “6 Underground,” hardly rocked the zeitgeist.
This film can’t help but do just that.
Is there another director you prefer tackle this project? Why?
The post A-list Director to Tackle U.S. Rescue of Downed Pilots in Iran appeared first on Hollywood in Toto.
